Includes information about transport and licensing
The Government Ministry responsible for driving and transport licenses is the Ministry of Infrastructure .
- Annual Vehicles Examination
- Bus permits and dealers
- Drivers License
- Number plates
- Off Road Examination Forms
- Vehicle examinations
- Vehicle Licensing
- Vehicle transfers
1. ANNUAL VEHICLE EXAMINATION
Annual examinations of vehicles are undertaken each year to ensure registered vehicles remain roadworthy.
|L: 1000kg – y1500kg||T$95.00|
|J: 1500kg – 3000kg||T$120.00|
|J: 3000kg – 5000kg||T$160.00|
|H: 5000kg and over||T$185.00|
|Motor Cycle and Tricycle||T$20.00|
|L: 1000kg – y1500kg||T$80.00|
|J: 1500kg – 3000kg||T$120.00|
|J: 3000kg – 5000kg||T$145.00|
|H: 5000kg and over||T$210.00|
The penalty fee for a late Annual Examination is T$60.00. Reissue of Registration & Examination Certificate is T$30.00
OFF ROAD VEHICLES
- Vehicles that are undergoing maintenance or parked for a long period must supply a letter to the Ministry informing them of the situation and length of time the vehicle will be out of service.
- An Off Road Application Formshould accompany this letter.
- A letter to the Ministry detailing how the problem has been fixed must be submitted before the vehicle can be relicensed.
2. BUS PERMITS AND DEALERS
Permits for bus routes and general dealers licences must be applied for at the Ministry of Infrastructure Traffic Office at the Vaololoa Office.
Special Bus route permit (Valid 24 hours) T$20.00
Specified bus route permit per annum T$100.00
Any other transport route per annum T$100.00
Reissue of Registration & Examination Certificate T$30.00
Transfer of Licence T$30.00
Dealers General Licence T$1000.00
Penalty fee (Late Annual Examination & Licence) T$60.00
PASSENGERS IN TAXIS, PASSENGER LORRIES OR BUSES
No truck or lorry licensed as a passenger lorry can carry passengers unless fitted with the following and approved by the Licensing Officer –
- a guard rail surrounding the tray;
- sufficient fixed seating for the number of passengers carried in accordance with the licence; and
- a fixed shelter for the protection of passengers.
All passenger buses must display the destination on the outside of the front of the bus in a conspicuous place, as approved by the Ministry of Infrastructure. Boards or signs displaying the destination must not interfere with the view of the driver and the safety of the vehicle and other road users.
3. APPLICATION FOR A NEW DRIVING LICENCE
- All applicants must be 18 years old or above
- All applicants must provide a birth certificate or passport to obtain a learner permit
- Learner permit valid for 3 months (NO FEES)
- Within 3 month learner permit, theory test and practical test to be conducted until expiry.
- If the theory test is passed the practical test will be conducted. If the theory test is failed, applicant must take the theory test again.
- All applicants who pass the theory and practical tests will be awarded a full driving licence
- All applicants bought theoretical test application at Tonga print (Vaololoa)
- All applications will be provided with a pen for the theory test and a motor vehicle for the practical test
Fee (Theory Test) = $20.00
Fee (Practical Test) = $20.00
Fee Licence Card = $60.00
TOTAL Fee = $100.00
WHERE TO GO
If you want to get a new driving licence or renew a driving licence you must apply in person at the Traffic Office on Bypass Road, Vaololoa.
RENEWING YOUR DRIVING LICENCE
- Applicants must submit old driving licence before it expires
- If the licence has been lost and no record can be found then a driving test must be undertaken by an authorized officer.
- If a licence has been lost but was issued on an outer Island (NTT, NF, HP, Vv, ‘Eua) confirmation of where the licence was issued is required (i.e. Licence Number, Date of Issue and sign by Officer–in-Charge)
(a) Fee $60.00 Normal Licence “C,F,J” (Private Licence)
(b) Fee $100.00 Public Licence “D,E” (Business Licence)
(c) Fee $160.00 Full Licence “C,F,J,H,E” (Private & Business Licence)
(d) Fee $30.00 “A” (Motor Cycle)
(e) Fee $40.00 “C,F,J,D” (Visitors Licence)
VISITOR DRIVING LICENCE (Temporary Licence)
- This licence is available for visitors to Tonga who require a licence for less than 3 months
- All applicants must hold a valid overseas driving licence
- The Temporary Licence is valid for 3 months
FEE = $40.00
For more information, contact the:
Ministry of Infrastructure
Tonga (Former Ministry of Works Office)
Tel: +676 23201
Fax: +676 25440