Ministry of Infrastructure
The Ministry of Infrastructure offers a variety of services to the public to ensure the safety and security of all forms of transport and infrastructure.
- Appropriate systems of rules, regulations and enforcement, consistent with Tongan law and international standards to guide the safe and secure operations of:
- Maritime services
- Civil aviation
- Land transport
- Appropriate systems of rules, regulations and enforcement to guide safe and environmentally sound building and construction in Tonga
- Improved delivery of vehicle maintenance, mechanical and engineering services, quarry and heavy plant for government and public use.
- LAND TRANSPORT DIVISION – Licensing and Vehicle Registration Services , Automotive Services, Hire of Equipment
- MARINE AND PORTS DIVISION – ship registration, license of ships, certify ships, certify seafarers;
- CIVIL AVIATION DIVISION – air certification, occurrence investigation, civil aviation safety;
- BUILDING DIVISION – building permit,
SUMMARY OF SERVICES
- Licensing and Vehicle Registration Services
The Land Transport Division of the Ministry of Infrastructure administers a number of services for the public. These are:
- Driver Licensing
- Vehicle Registration
- Vehicle Licensing
- Annual Examination
- Number Plates
- Vehicle Transfer
- Bus Permits and Vehicle Dealership Permits
2. Automotive Services
Automotive and mechanical services offered by the Ministry of Infrastructure include:
- Repair of heavy machinery
- Repair of light vehicles
- Fitter and turner
- Panel beating
Rates for these services vary depending on the job. To obtain a quote contact Pesa by phone on 771 7405 or 840 8395 or Manasi on 731 4600. Alternatively you can visit the Mechanical Services Offices behind the Licensing Office in Vaololoa.
3. Hire of Equipment
The Ministry of Infrastructure has some machinery available for hire to the public. For rates, contact Pesa by phone on 771 7405 or 840 8395 or Manasi on 731 4600. Alternatively you can visit the Mechanical Services Offices behind the Licensing Office in Vaololoa.
The Ministry of Infrastructure has large tents and chairs available for hire for private functions. Please contact Tevita Kaufusi or Tesimoni Taufateau by phone on 23100 (extension 218).
4. Civil Engineering Services
The Ministry of Infrastructure offers design services for civil and structural infrastructure including buildings, airports, wharfs and roads. For more information contact Pesa on 771 7405 or 840 8395.
5. Civil Aviation Services
The Civil Aviation Division provides the following services to ensure the safety and security of civil aviation in Tonga:
- Certification and Approval (Ground Safety)
- Certification and Approval (Air Operations)
- Personnel Licensing
- Occurrence Investigation
6. Marine And Ports Services
The Marine and Ports Division provides the following services to ensure the safety and security of the maritime sector in Tonga:
- Ship registration
- Licensing of ships
- Certification of ships
- Certification of seafarers